Towards a better Dehra Dun…
10 ways you could help
Dr Nitin Pandey
God created Dehra Dun as a beautiful green valley in the foothills of the Himalayas with natural springs, fresh air and chirping birds. Where is that Doon today? Take a walk down any road in Dehra Dun and you’ll see trash strewn all over, you’ll hear hundreds of high pitched horns every second and you’ll breathe in black carbon filled smoke from the exhaust pipes of passing vehicles.
This city needs you. It does not need you to do a dharna or take out a rally to raise awareness; it simply needs you to do your bit, set an example even when no one is looking. The buck starts with YOU.
Here are a few simple steps you could take to make Dehra Dun a much better place to live in.
- Stop Littering: Don’t presume that some sweeper will clean it the next day as most roads are rarely cleaned and it will clog in an already choked drain. Look for a litter bin and if there is none; set an example by keeping it in your pocket or bag till you reach home.
- Disposal of Garbage: Check what your sweeper at home or office does with your garbage. Does he throw it in a drain or an empty plot? Provide him with Garbage pick up bags, which are available at Hanuman Chowk @ Rs 80/- for a pack of 50. Ensure that he throws them into the Municipal Garbage bins only. Throwing garbage outside the Garbage Bins is as bad as throwing it anywhere.
- Carry Bags: insist on environmental friendly thick carry bags. Bags less than 20microns are banned. Better still, carry your own bag or simply do without a bag if possible. Speak out if your shopkeeper uses thin carry bags.
- Wait patiently for your turn: when in a traffic jam, while buying a movie ticket or getting into the Hall. Don’t jump out of the line and make things worse.
- Don’t gas people with your vehicle: Imagine inhaling the noxious smoke coming out of your vehicle’s exhaust. How would you feel if it was someone else’s exhaust and your nose? Getting your vehicle serviced regularly saves petrol and people’s health.
- Don’t honk: unnecessarily. Even birds are becoming deaf due to traffic noise. Why add to noise pollution?
- Clean your neighborhood: if everyone kept the road immediately in front of their houses clean, Dehra Dun would be a charming city. Put up attractive, eye-catching ‘Litter Free Area’ signs in your neighborhood.
- Don’t spit or urinate: in the open. This habit develops from childhood. Peeing children on roads are as bad as adults. Stop them instead of looking the other side.
- Obey rules: Wear your helmet, stop at red lights even when no one is looking. It is ‘cool’ even to be the only one waiting at a red light. By doing so, you set an example. Park your vehicle properly in the car/scooter park only. While driving give due respect to the Pedestrian; never splash water on people walking by during rains.
- Motivate others: to follow your example. Debate how to be a good citizen in colleges and schools.
Each one of us can make a difference. Don’t underestimate the power of ONE.
||Get SMS Updates
Please comment on the article